Those of you who know me will know that I am generally a very upbeat if bemused kind of chappie. However, today I am very sad and have a serious message to pass on to you and your doggie companions.
I had a friend called Ruby, a strapping 35kg Vizla bundle of enthusiasm. Like all of us, she was prone to the odd food stealing incident……..sadly she stole 2 homemade brownies that were baked at home with Xylitol, an artificial sweetener that humans like to use in baking, some peanut butter, chewing gum and toothpaste to name a few.
Within an hour she had collapsed and within a week despite heroic interventions by the veterinary hospital ( transfusions, drugs, drips etc) she died. Her family are devastated, particularly her mum who baked the brownies and now blames herself.
Xylitol is hugely toxic to dogs ( not cats ) even in minute quantities. A single piece of chewing gum contains enough to kill a small dog. Please take a moment to read this article on Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs and share with your friends….